Turówka Hotel & SPA⋆⋆⋆⋆ is a historic object (entered in the register of monuments: A-531) originally intended to be a part of then designed saltworks.
Construction of the saltworks complex in Wieliczka was supervised by Alojzy Hdrina, an experienced manager, who arrived from Ebensee, Austria. He obtained the title of the court commissioner and moved to Wieliczka with his son, Jan Nepomucen Hrdina, who was a mining apprentice at that time. Jan H. Hrdina stayed in Wieliczka and his family associated with the town for a long time. He prepared excellent drawings of Wieliczka undergrounds and others. The actual works on site began after 1810 when Vienna Court Camera announced the Emperor Francis I allowed the construction of saltworks in Wieliczka. The building was erected on the land owned by the town, in the place of a medieval grange called TUR, hence the Turówka name.
In the wake of the fall of the Duchy of Warsaw, the takeover of all Wieliczka saltworks by Austria and by the virtue of Treaty of the 3rd of May 1815 between Austria and Russia the building of saltworks was not approved. The construction was put on hold and the soldiers along with military stables were deployed in the main building.
In the end, the investment was abandoned. Salt pans and other equipment were dismantled and handed over to Lviv Salin Administration for East Galicia. The main building became a warehouse for grain, coal and construction materials.
Saltworks building became a seat to the Office of Salt Sales and Shipping. It was also a housing for the Office employees (manager, controller, weights and assistants). An entrance to the apartments was made on the first floor, on the east side, where the building was equipped with a wooden porch built on steel pillars. The saltworks building consisted of 5 offices, 7 warehouses as well as 3 and 4-room apartments.
During the construction of Wieliczka railway line, the building recieved a sidetrack equipped with a turntable. This enabled placing the wagon next to warehouse west door.
West and south buildings were frequently rebuilt and their role changed. For instance, initially there were three warehouses nearby , two of which were equipped with wooden arcades. Fourth outbuilding was later erected between the main and southern buildings. It was subsequently demolished and a very large wooden-based structure warehouse for bovine salt was built on that place.The southern outbuilding was converted into apartments in 1901 while the western one was converted for the same purpose after 1908. Both these buildings are still standing.
The whole floor in the former saltworks building was reserved to house Wieliczka Salins employees. Saline warehouses owned by ‘Samopomoc Chlopska’ communal cooperative were located on the west side – in the basement and in the hall.
At that time the project of a main building reconstruction was introduced. It was suppoed to become a hotel for miners performing security works. The then Malopolska Provintional Office in Krakow handed on 10 apartments evicting all the residents, while the Salt Mine did nothing. The abandoned ‘Turowka’ became a ruin in a matter of ten years.
Construction works, refurbishing old saltworks and hotel adaptation.
The grand opening of Turówka Hotel & SPA⋆⋆⋆⋆.
Turówka Hotel & SPA⋆⋆⋆⋆ is an official Italian team base camp at UEFA EURO 2012
Turówka Hotel & SPA⋆⋆⋆⋆ is an official German U21 team base camp at EURO 2017.